Orlando Chapter Markers

 

   

 

Home Activities Calendar History
Markers Officers Florida DAR National DAR
 
 
 

On June 12, 2010, a dedication ceremony was held at Central Florida Veterans Memorial Park, 2380 Lake Baldwin Lane, Orlando 32814, for the unveiling of the monument, "Patriots of the American Revolution, 1775-1783, Heroes of Liberty."

 

Pictured, from left to right:  Dr. Neil Euliano, Christine Woods, Melissa Kwak, Debra White, Liz MacIntosh, Edna Benson, Joyce Parker, and Jennifer Cardinal

 
 
 

Florida State Regent, Mrs. Barbara Whalin Makant, delivering remarks at the June 2010 dedication ceremony.

                                                                                                      

 
 
 
On March 13, 2008, the chapter honored the original thirteen chapter members with a gravesite marker.  The beautiful site is located at Greenwood Cemetery, 1603 Greenwood Street, Orlando.  The marker is on the Historic Greenwood Cemetery Evening Tour every week.
 
 

On February 11, 1992, under the leadership of Orlando Chapter Regent Katherine Shuman, three brass plaques were placed in an area known as "Guardians of Freedom" at Constitution Green Park, Orlando, Florida.  These markers were to honor Orlando Chapter Organizing Regent Carrie Schuller.

 

Present at the February 1992 dedication ceremony were, from left to right: Lucy Dorcy, Gloria Holly, Mae Stewart (Chapter Regent 1950-1952, Florida State Regent 1958-1960, and NSDAR Corresponding Secretary General 1965-1968), Mrs. T. G. Bess Lee, Elizabeth Williams, Kathy Shuman.

 
 
 

 
 
 

Historic Markers and Monuments Placed by Orlando Chapter

 
 

March 30, 1924, the Orlando Chapter unveiled a granite tablet on the site of Fort Gaitlin, a military outpost, two miles southeast of Orlando on Gatlin Avenue at the end of Osceola Avenue.  That fort was erected November 9, 1818 as one of a chain of forts extending from Sanford to Tampa.  Attending the ceremony was Martha Tyler (85 years old) who, when a little girl, was a refugee in this fort where she was protected from the indians. 

Text on chapter marker photo: "Erected by the Orlando Chapter D. A. R.
Mar. 27, 1924, Marking the site of Fort Gatlin, 1838 Military Outpost".

 
 
 

On November 11, 1924, a flag pole and granite marker were placed on the grounds of Memorial High School to commemorate the soldiers of Orange County who fought in World War I.  Built with the aid of patriotic citizens of Orange County, the marker is now located on the east side of Lake Eola.

 
 
 

In March 1931, the Orlando Chapter marked a historic and very rare tree which stood on the southeast corner of the courthouse grounds.  The bronze plate on the cement wall contained the following inscription:  "Rare tree, botanical name Pterospermum agerifolium known as chocolate or cacao from India.  Planted by Leslie Pell Clarke in 1892.  It's rarity is recognized by Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution who in conjunction with the County Commisioners of Orange County have placed the marker."  Photo in Vol. 1, p. 135

   
 
 

On March 15, 1935, a large granite rock with a bronze plaque and a roadside marker both marked the site of Fort Maitland, built in 1838, by Lt. Col. Alexander G.W. Fanning, on the military road connecting Fort Mellon of Sanford with Fort Gatlin of Orlando.  This fort was used as a stockade in the Seminole Indian Wars.  The fort was named for the Seminole War Hero, Captain William Seton Maitland, a native of New York and graduate of West Point, whom President Andrew Jackson commissioned Brevet Captain for gallantry and "good conduct" at Withlacoochee December 31, 1865 and Welicka, July 19, 1836.  He was severely wounded at Wahoo Swamp on November 21, 1836 and was drowned in the Ashley River, S.C.  The boundaries of this fort were definitely marked as late as 1872 when this settlement was officially designated Maitland.  The beautiful body of water nearby, which the Seminoles called Fumecheliga (Muskmelon Place), also honors the memory of Captain Maitland in its name Lake Maitland.  The rock was placed at 100 S. Orlando Ave., Maitland, FL.  A new marker was placed a few feet from the original location in 1972, to replace the original which was lost.  A group of 20 Seminole Indians, men, women and children in colorful tribal dress, were present. 

 
 
 

In 1935, a stone of Florida travertine was donated and dedicated in the "Walk of Fame" at Rollins College to honor Miss Lucy A. Cross, precursor of the college, on its 50th Anniversary Celebration.

 
 
 

On June 16, 1951 at Christmas, Florida (located twenty-two miles east of Orlando and fourteen miles west of Indian River City on Highway 50) a historical marker was placed to commemorate Fort Christmas.  This fort had been established in 1835 and was in a siege of war on Christmas Day.  The fort was destroyed by fire many years ago, hence all that is left of this historic site are live oaks and a growth of palmetto.

 
 
 

On April 14, 1960, a bronze marker at the south side of the new annex to the Orange County Courthouse honoring Jacob Summerlin was unvieled.  The inscription reads, "In honor of Jacob Summerlin whose loyalty and influence were decisive factors in establishing this site in 1875 for the Orange County Courthouse, thus retaining Orlando as the County Seat."

 
 
 

On December 3, 1988, with the approval of the Historian General, NSDAR, a marker was placed to commemorate the site of the home of Francis Eppes, grandson of President Thomas Jefferson (3,000 S. Osceola Ave.).  The plaque was caste bronze, 18" wide and 13" overall with a half-round top.  The inscription read, "Site and Home of Francis Eppes, Grandson of President Thomas Jefferson, Original House Built 1868."

 
 
 

In March of 1992, a brass plaque was dedicated at three magnolia trees that were planted at Constitution Green Park, Orlando, Florida.  The plaques honored chapter founder Carrie Schuler and Honor Roll members Mrs. Thomas Lee and Mrs. Jackson E. Stewart.

Pictured right, from left to right, are Joyce Parker, Edna Benson, and Barbara Lemay 

 
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Our Chapter Welcomes Membership Inquiries.

 

For membership information contact Edna Benson.

Please include your mailing address telephone number.

 

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

 
 
 

 

 

Revised:  October 10, 2010