Called the “Jewel of the Gulf,” Marco is the largest of the Ten Thousand Islands measuring 4 miles by 6 miles with a sugary-sand, crescent-shaped beach.
People have been “discovering” the island for centuries. For thousands of years Marco Island was home to the Calusa Indians who as late as the 16th century, drove out the plundering Conquistadors. Mysteriously, the Calusas abandoned the island and disappeared. Then in 1870, Captain W. T. Collier established the first permanent home on the island. In 1965, the Deltona Company developed Marco Island as a residential community for those who were looking for an escape from the cold and snowy winter.